Wednesday, October 12, 2011

About Mommy like Whoa


Here's a little FAQ to help you get to know me a little better...

How did you fall in love with being so crafty?
I am not really sure how it started really. I have always been a crafty person. My mom used to sew all our dance and Halloween costumes, I swear there was nothing she couldn't do. She also never stunted our creativity and let us try out lots of different mediums and outlets. I think that lead me to finding that same quality in friends and from there I've learned even more arts. I'll see something in a store, restaurant or magazine and think, "I could make that...". To me being crafty is like breathing and I need to do it to survive.
 
How did you meet your man?
I met Charlie in elementary school when we were 10 years old. I don't remember the specific day or time and I wish I could say something romantic like "I looked across the crowded cafeteria table and our eyes met and we just knew..." but it's nothing even remotely close to that. We reconnected in 2009 and have been inseparable since.
   
Who are your inspirations?
My daughter inspires me daily. I LOVE Martha Stewart. She and her team amaze me with their creativity and their ability to constantly come up with new projects and ideas. I kind of want to be her when I grow  up, but without the whole messy insider trading and smarmy attitude. I'd be happy being the poor man's Martha.
 
Did becoming a mommy help your craft?
I honestly think it did. Before I had her I limited my crafting to embroidery, and cupcake decorating. After Abbey came along I was so inspired to try new art forms and learn new styles of crafting. I even learned how to use my sewing machine! I saw all kinds of cute stuff on Pinterest and wanted to make all of the things I was seeing. She makes me want to be a better and craftier person.
 
How many licks does it take you to get to the center of a  tootsie roll pop?
 3. :)
 
When do you find time to craft?
I craft when the urge strikes. Sometimes I'm on a deadline. Sometimes I am inspired to try a new hand lettered font. Sometimes Joann's is having a sale and I can't not buy a few yards of fabric for a rainy day. I do most of my crafting around naptime, or bedtime so I know I'll get at least a couple hours of uninterrupted time in. If I had a cleaner house I think I would craft less. I think Charlie secretly hates that about me. I also try to have craft nights with my girl friends every couple weeks. If you're in the San Diego Area, you should join us some time!

 
Do you have any advice for other mothers on finding time to get crafty? 
If you're new to DIY, I suggest joining Pinterest (if you haven't already) and browsing the boards on there. Experiement with different things. Some crafts are much cheaper and easier than others, less time consuming too. Find what works for you and your family and what works within your budget and time constraint. If you're passionate about it, you'll make the time. I promise.
 
What is the most special moment remembered in your very youngest (toddler) memory, your k-5th grade memory, your 6th - 8th grade memory, and your high school memory? 
I honestly can say that most of my favorite memories involve art and crafting or cooking. I loved making my 4th grade California mission project. I loved school talent shows and dance recitals. Cheer competitions. Making jewelry with my mom. FIMO clay! Stamps and markers and making my own cards. My whole life has kind of lead up to this.


What is your very favorite memory in your life as a whole so far?  
The birth of my daughter and every day since. :) 













No comments:

Post a Comment