Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Embroidered Birth Announcement Hoop!

I fell in love with embroidery while I was pregnant. It gave me a way to calm my nerves and relax me after work, it helped my mind wind down better than TV or reading and it made me feel as if I was actually accomplishing something too. As any crafter knows, your list of "To Do" is usually a lot longer than your list of "Done". I know mine is, and my list of ideas, especially during the holidays just keeps growing... and growing...and growing!



Since becoming a new mom, I've noticed babies and pregnant women everywhere! I even have a ton of pregnant and mommy friends and my new favorite go-to gift for them is the Embroidered Birth Announcement!

You know you want one!

  The one above is for a cousin-in-law (it's still sitting in my craft "area", waiting to be mailed... Sorry Sarah! I'll get right on it!) If you know how to embroider, they are so simple and easy to make, and even if you don't know how, it's the PERFECT starter project! All you'll need is;

  • A embroidery hoop (I used a medium sized one, about 6" across - it will run you around a dollar at Michael's)
  • A few skeins of embroidery floss in your preferred colors (I use DMC brand, but you can use whatever you fancy, they cost under a dollar each, and you won't even come close to using the whole thing.)
  • A pencil
  • Embroidery needle (I get mine at Sublime Stitching, 4 needles for under $4 and no plethora of extra needles you'll never use!)
  • Swatch of fabric of your choice (I used canvas)
Stretch the fabric over the hoop and secure it nice and tight. Use the pencil and lightly draw/sketch/trace whatever it is you want to say. I like the first and middle names with the date of birth, but honestly I make these with all kinds of saying, pictures and patterns, just go with your heart. Choose your thread color, thread your needle and start stitching! Here is a great list of basic stitches and here's one full of advanced ones as well. To finish it, I trim the excess, leaving about an inch or so to fold down, and secure with fabric glue, then a fitted fabric circle on the back to protect my stitches! Happy Crafting!

If this is something you really want to get into, by all means check out Jenny Hart's site Sublime Stitching, it's got so many awesome patterns, and everything you will need to get started. I love her!

No comments:

Post a Comment