Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Freckled Lemonade Copycat Recipe


One of my husbands favorite restaurants is Red Robin. I am never opposed to going there because I love their Freckled Lemonade! Tart lemonade with big strawberries floating throughout, AND they are BOTTOMLESS... hello! I probably sit there and drink at least 4 of them in an afternoon. I guess it's better than the 4 bottomless Root Beer floats I drank there when pregnant. Aye!



I always look for strawberry lemonade when I'm out and about because to me, strawberry is the best of the flavored lemonades, with mango coming up second. The trouble is I can't ever find it! I find raspberry and pink, but never anything as delicious as the freckled lemonade from Red Robin.

The Original Freckled Lemonade, Via Red Robin's Website

Our last trip there made me realize that I could easily make my own version of freckled lemonade at home, and probably cheaper, and better for you than the syrupy concoction I love.

So I tried... and it's really easy! Not an exact replica, but delicious anyway! Hubby kind of hmm'ed and haww'ed at it, but went back for seconds and Abbey loves it, so I think it's a hit.

All you need for this delicious summer (or anytime if you live here in SoCal) is;


1 large pitcher
1 can frozen lemonade concentre or bottle of your favorite brand (mine's Simply Lemonade)
1 container of fresh strawberries (Or frozen if they are out of season or look wonky)
1-2 tbsp sugar
1 lemon

EASY!

Cut up your strawberries into chunks. If you're using frozen, let them thaw a bit first. Sprinkle the sugar over the strawberries and let it sit for about 10-20 minutes.
 

Now take your strawberries, they should have started to breakdown a bit and have some juice seeped from them. Take a fork and slightly mash the strawberries. Add to pitcher.



Wash your lemon really well and cut it in half. Thinly slice half the lemon into slices and squeeze the other half, removing seeds, and pour juice into pitcher. I used the OXO Citrus reamer, it was a wedding gift and it's my favorite thing ever!


The lemon part is totally optional, but it adds a "homemade" tartness taste to the lemonade that I really like. Garnish pitcher with lemon slices


Add your lemonade to the rest of the ingredients. Let sit it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes so the flavors can meld. This will also tint your lemonade slightly pink. After about a day the lemonade almost turns a red color and has a really flavorful strawberry taste.







Other flavor combinations to try;
Strawberry Basil
Blueberry
Peach Mango
Kiwi Strawberry

A shot of a light colored liquor (tequila, vodka, rum) would totally amp this up for an adult party too!

Experiment with other flavors and let me know what you used! What are your favorites? Tell me below in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment